Dr. Basanta Raj Adhikari has done his PhD in Earth Science from the University of Vienna, Austria. His research interests are climate change, hill-slope movement and human interaction, Himalayan sediment flux generation, community based disaster risk reduction for different kinds of natural disaster e.g. landslide, flood, earthquake. He has published more than dozen research papers in both national and international journals and received various recognition for his work in the field of earth science.
- PhD in geology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria, Department of Geodynamics and sedimentology, 2009
- MSc in Geology, Central Department of Geology, Tribhuvan University, Nepal. 2001-2003.
(From November 2011 to date) Assistant Professor of Engineering Geology, Department of Civil Engineering, Central Campus, Pulchowk Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University, Responsible for teaching engineering geology, landslide, supervise students in the field as well as in lab to conduct research. Course coordinator of the landslide for M.Sc. in Disaster Risk Management. Course coordinator of engineering geology for M.Sc. in Geo-technical Engineering.
(From June 2015 to June 2018) Deputy Director, Centre for Disaster Studies, Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University, Responsible for Training, research and development in different kinds of disaster in Nepal and aboard.
(From 2011 to 2014) Visiting Associate Professor of Engineering Geology, School of Engineering, Pokhara University, Pokhara, Responsible for teaching engineering geology and supervise students in the field.
(From 2010 to 2013) Visiting Associate Professor of Environmental Geology, Goldengate International College, Tribhuvan University, Nepal, responsible for teaching environmental geology, supervise students in the field as well as in lab to conduct research.
(From January 2010 to November 2011) Assistant Lecturer of Geology, Department of Geology, Tri-chandra Campus, Tribhuvan University, responsible for teaching geology (structural, physical, engineering and environmental geology), supervise students in the field to conduct research works.
|Illuminating the speed of sand-quantifying sediment transport using optically stimulated luminescence||Collaborator||Identification about how long it take for a grain of sand to more down a river. The project is trying to develop a method that used bleaching of quartz and feldspar in sand by daylight exposure
|University of Potsdam, Germany and Wageningen University, The Netherlands||2018-2019|
|A study on Reliability and Effectiveness of Flood Early Warning System in Nepal: Lessons learnt and Way forward, Nepal||Team Leader||Documentation of flood EWS and access the factors playing roles in sustainability of EWS in national level, recommendation appropriate policy needs for substantially enhancing flood EWS.||Practical Action, Nepal||2018|
|Preparation of Urban Sustainability Index in Nepal||Environment Risk Analyst||Preparation of environmental indicators for Urban Sustainability index. Presentation of data using GIS||National Planning Commission, Nepal||2017-2018|
|Preparation of land zoning map in Gaupalika Level, Nepal||Team Leader||Preparation of present land use, soil land capability, Land-use zoning, cadastral layer, superimpose and municipal profile in GIS platform.||NLUP, Nepal||2017-2018|
|Threshold calculation for floods and Landslides in Selected Watershed/Sub-watersheds and Deliver Community Based EWS Trainings for Two Communities in Sindhupalchowk and Surkhet Districts, Nepal||Engineering geologist||Identification of land surface and landslides interaction and calculation of rainfall threshold for landslides and floods. Preparation of index maps in GIS environment||UNDP, Nepal||2017-2018|
|Nepal Urban Resilience Project||Environment Risk Analyst||Environmental indicators identification for risk analysis in selected municipalities. Identification of Solid, electronic and industrial waste, hazardous waste, landslide, flood etc.||DFID, ADRA Nepal, NDRC||2017-2018|
|Soil Hydraulic Assessment for slope stability using Slope Index Map at Kavre District||Engineering Geologist||Geological investigation of the area with slope stability analysis for disaster risk reduction.||Nepal Agricultural Research Council, GoN, Nepal
|Landslide hazard mapping in the Nepalese Himalaya||Principal Investigator||Study of landslide, interaction with community, preparation of landslide risk map, developed methodology for landslide risk mapping in the local context, field investigation, training to local level engineer and policy makers triggered by earthquake.||FAO, UN||2017-2018|
|Perturbation of Earth Surface Systems by Earthquakes||Co-Investigator||Investigation of the interaction between earthquake and hill slope movement in the Nepal Himalaya||Helmholtz Centre Potsdam, GFZ Germany||2015-2018|
|Dynamic Flood Topographies in the Terai, Nepal; community perception and resilience||Co-Investigator||generation of high resolution of DEM in the Karnali River and long-term dynamic flood modeling for early warning system||University of Edinburgh, England and Practical Action, Nepal||2016-2017|
|DRR initiatives for Landslide treatment and monitoring training in Sindhupalchowk and Dolakha districts of Nepal||Team leader/ Landslide expert||landslide monitoring and stabilization by using different local technology and materials and training for the local people||Save the Children, Nepal||2015-2017|
|Enhancement of urban disaster resilience through activities of local participatory platform, Nepal||Co-Investigator||Enhance resilience of cities against natural disasters through capacity buildings of stakeholders in Kathmandu, Nepal and Yangon, Myanmar.||Kyoto University, Japan; NSET, Nepal; Centre for Disaster Studies, TU; Lalitpur and Karyabinayk Municipalities||2015-2018|
|Impacts of the earthquake 2072 on selected protected area (Langtang, Shivapuri, Sangarmatha, Makalubarun, Manaslu and Gauri Shankar Protected areas) Nepal.||Engineering Geologist||Identification of landslides and threat to bio-diversity due to earthquake||Department of National Parks and Wildlife conservation, Government of Nepal, Practical Solution Pvt. LTD.||2016|
|Present Land Use, Soil, Land Capability, Land Use Zoning, Cadastral Layer Superimpose and VDC profile, Sunsari district, Nepal.||Team Leader||Overall team management, guidance and monitoring for land use zoning and risk mapping up to VDC level||Ministry of Land Reform and Management||2016|
|Pro-poor environmentally sustainable Green Recovery and Rehabilitation Plans in Nepal||Team Leader||Multi-hazard mapping and preparation of GRRP in different districts.||Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development||2015|
|Detailed assessment, Master plans and technical documents for Schools in Sindhupalchowk district.||Engineering Geologist||Identification of different hazard for safe place to construct school||CARITAS Switzerland||2015|
|Detail study of earthquake triggered landslides and liquefaction in the different part of Nepal.||Engineering Geologist||Reconnaissance study of Earthquake||Geotechnical Extreme Events Reconnaissance, USA||2015|
|Nationwide Risk Assessment-Stocktaking and preparation Phase||Risk Assessment expert||Provided professional input on nationwide consultation and prepare methodology for risk assessment, Stocktaking of natural hazard and risk assessment.||DFID/Evidence on demand, UK, Nepal Risk Reduction Consortium (NRRC)||2015|
|Climate Risks Assessment and Integrated Watershed Management Plan of Riu-Khola Sub-watershed, Maadi, Chitwan, Nepal||Team leader (Climate change and DRM expert)||Coordinate study team, communicate and collaborate with DDC and UNDP, Design methodology for the work and supervise field survey, compile and finalize the report and presentation||UNDP, Nepal||2015|
|Quantitative and qualitative analysis impacts of landslide to local communities including infrastructure and recommend future course of action of disaster risk reduction, Kalikot District, Nepal.||Team Leader/Disaster Risk Management Expert||Identification of vulnerable community from the natural hazard with collection of socio-economic data such as loss of life, property, migration, impact on women etc. Data analysis and production of analytical report on the socio-economic impacts of landslide and recommendation for future action on landslide monitoring.||Mission East||2014|
|Design and develop low cost and low tech Community Based Early Warning System (CBEWS) for Flash flood, Eastern Nepal||Team Leader/Disaster Risk Reduction Expert||Identification of flood hazard and develop a physical prototype of low-cost, low-tech flash flood early warning system.||CFGORRP/UNDP Nepal||2014|
|Preparation of District environment policy, Morang, Nepal||Environmental Geologist||Identification of physical features, geology and climate. Preparation of different environmental indicators map by using GIS and focus group discussion.||District Development Committee, Morang, Nepal||2014|
|Development of Ecosystem Based Sediment control techniques and Design of Siltation Dam to Protect Phewa Lake, Pokhara, Nepal||Team Leader/ Disaster Risk Reduction Expert||Responsible for preparation of landslide hazard map, debris flow and flood hazard map of the basin using remote sensing and GIS techniques, Preparation of Siltation dam to control the sediment, Propose the Integrated Watershed Management Plan.||Western Region Forest Directorate, Government of Nepal||2014|
|Understanding the links of climate change forest fire and species regeneration and resilience pattern in Sacred Himalayan Landscape, Nepal||Team Leader/Climate Change expert||Responsible for study of land degradation due to forest fire, climate change and analysis of soil parameters with forest fire using field data, Remote sensing and GIS techniques.||World Wide fund, Nepal||2014|
|Hydrology/Hydrogeology study in Bangsingh VDCs of Panchase Area/Ecosystem based Adaptation in Mountain Ecosystem in Nepal||Team Leader/Hydro-geologist||Responsible for preparation of hydrogeological map using GIS and prepared a management plan for sustainable water use||IUCN, Nepal||2013|
|Preparation of the National Environmental policy and state of environment, Nepal||Environmental Geologist||Responsible for analysis of physical environment focused on policy and state of environment.||Ministry of Environment, Government of Nepal||2012|
|Geological and Engineering geological study of Different Hydropowers||Engineering Geologist||Professional (Engineering geologist/geologist) input in feasibility and detailed studies of several hydropower projects.Carried out field studies, prepared geological, engineering geological and hazard map in GIS and prepared report focused to geological hazards in and around the project area with potential impact to project structures.||Butwal Power Company; Fillbright Pvt. LTD.; ITECO Nepal; ADMcarto consult Nepal; Engen Consultancy Pvt. LTD.; PNet (p) LTD; BPC-ERMC, Nepal||2010-2016|
|Preparation of EIA/IEE in different Projects||Engineering Geologist||Carried out field studies, prepared geological, engineering geological and hazard map in GIS and prepared report focused to geological hazards in and around the project area with potential impact to project structures||DDC, Jhapa; LRBP/ITECO Swiss; Prakriti Consult; FNCCI, Nepal||2010-2016|
Thesis supervision in M.Sc
- Investigation of karst structure in the Kusma area of Parbat district using electrical resistivity tomography (ert), Krishna Subedi Department of Civil Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Tribhuvan University, 2016.
- Effect of Urbanization on Urban Flooding: A case study of Tikapur Municipality, Hotrika Joshi, Department of Civil Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Tribhuvan University, 2016.
- Hazard Mapping of the Sinkhole affected Armala Area, Pokhara, Nepal by Surveying geophysical and Geotechnical investigation, Praddep Pokharel, Department of Civil Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Tribhuvan University, 2016.
- Use of GIS Technology For Landslide Hazard Mapping In Indrawati Basin, Sub-Basin Of Koshi Watershed, Nepal, Anup Dhakal, Department of Civil Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Tribhuvan University, 2014.
- Flood vulnerability and capacity assessment of people of Holiya VDC in Bake district, Prakash Khadka, Department of Civil Engineering, Pulchowk Campus, Tribhuvan University, 2013.
- Adhikari, B.R., 2016, Land and Soil, Compendium of Environment Statistics, Central Bureau of Statistics, Government of Nepal, 176p.
- Devkota, S. and Adhikari, B.R., 2015, Development of Ecosystem based Sediment Control Techniques and Design of Siltation Dam to Protect Phewa Lake, Government of Nepal/United Nations Development Programmes (UNDP), 64p.
- Adhikari, B.R. and Suwal, M.K., 2013, Hydrogeological Study in BangsingDeurali VDC, Syangja, An Ecosystem-based Adaptation in Mountain Ecosystem in Nepal, IUCN, Nepal, 60p.
- Yoshida, M., Upreti, B.N., Rai, S.M., Bhattarai, T.N., Ulak, P.D., Gajurel, A. P., Dahal, R. K., Dhakal, S., Koirala, M. P., Sharma, L. N. and Adhikari, B.R., 2011, Guidebook for Himalayan Trekkers (Series No. 2), Eco-trekking in the Everest Region, Eastern Nepal, Department of Geology, Tri-Chandra Multiple campus, Tribhuvan University, 192p.
- Adhikari B.R., Shrestha S.D., Shakya N.M. (2019) Future Urban Water Crisis in Mountain Regions: Example of Kathmandu Valley, Nepal. In: Ray B., Shaw R. (eds) Urban Drought. Disaster Risk Reduction (Methods, Approaches and Practices). Springer, Singapore, pp. 169-182
- Fort, M., Adhikari, B.R. and Rimal B., 2017, Pokhara (cental Nepal): A dramatic, yet Geomorphologically active environment Vs. a dynamic, rapidly developing city, Urban geomorphology: Landforms and processes in cities (Marry Thornbush and Casey allen eds.), Elsevier publication, pp. 231-258.
- Adhikari, B. R., 2016, Gorkha Earthquake 2015: Cause and Effect, Techno-civil, vol 5, pp. 20-25.
- Adhikari, B. R., 2013, Rock mass classification system and problems associated with their parameters in underground excavation system, Techno-civil, vol 4, pp. 51-55.
- Adhikari, B. R., 2013, पोखरा उपत्यकाको भौगोलक उपती र बिकासक्रम, स्मारिका, Lions Club of Pokhara Chautari, pp. 51-53 (Article in Nepali).
- Adhikari, B. R., 2012, बेगनास : भौगोलिक र भौगर्भिक परिचय, बेगनास पत्रिका, वर्ष ७, अंक १, 30-32
- Adhikari, B. R., 2011, पश्चिम नेपाल स्थित थाकखोला –मुस्तांग उपत्यकाका तालीय अवयवहरुको विस्लेषण , हाम्रो सम्पदा, वर्ष ११, अंक ६, 55-60 (Article in Nepali)
- Adhikari, B. R., 2010, An introduction to Optically Stimulated Luminescence (OSL), GEOWORLD, pp 30-32.
- Adhikari, B. R., 2000, Topography of the Ocean Floor, GEOWORLD, pp 88-89.
- Chen, F., Tian, B., Adhikari, B.R., Gou, X., 2019. Mapping digital drainage network using geoprocessing: A case study of Kali Gandaki River basin, Nepal Himalaya. IEEE, 978-1-5386-9154-0/19, 3479-3482.
- Gnyawali, K. R., Zhang, Y., Wang, G., Miao, L., Pradhan, A.M.S., Adhikari, B.R., Xiao, L., 2019, Mapping the susceptibility of rainfall and earthquake triggered landslides along China-Nepal Highways, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-019-01583-2.
- McAdoo, B.G., Quak, M., Gnyawali, K.R., Adhikari, B.R., Devkota, S., Rajbhandari, P.L., Sudmeier-Rieux, K., 2018, Roads and landslides in Nepal: how development affects environmental risk, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. vol. 18 (12), pp. 3203-3210.
- Stolle, A., Schwanghart, W., Andermann, C., Bernhardt, A., Fort, M., Jansen, J.D., Wittmann, H., Merchel, S., Rugel, G., Adhikari, B.R., Korup, O., 2018, Protracted river response to medieval earthquake, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, https://doi.org/10.1002/esp.4517.
- Cook, K.L, Andermann, C., Gimber, F., Adhikari, B.R. and Hovius, N., 2018, Glacial lake outburst floods as drivers of fluvial erosion in the Himalaya, Science, Vol. 362, pp. 53-57.
- Adhikari, B.R. and Sitoula, N.R., 2018, Community based flash flood early warning systems: a low-cost technology for Nepalese mountains, Bulletin of Department of Geology, Tribhuvan University, Nepal, v. 20, pp. 87-92.
- Gautam, S., Chatterjee, R. and Adhikari, B.R., 2017, Business recovery after Gorkha Earthquake 2015 in Nepal. UNMGCY Youth Science Policy Interface Publication – Special Edition: Disaster Risk Reduction: A Road of Opportunities. May, 2017.
- Stolle, A., Swchwanghart, W., Andermann, C., Bernhardt, A., Wittmann, H., Merchel, S., Rugel, G., Fort, M., Adhikari, B.R. and Korup, O., 2017, Catastrophic valley fills record large Himalayan earthquakes, Pokhara, Nepal, Quaternary Science Reviews, vol. 117, pp. 83-103.
- Adhikari, B.R., Nidal, N., Yadav, B.K. and Awasthi, S., 2017, Landslide risk assessment of the Patlekhet landslide, Myagdi district, Nepal, Journal of the Institute of Engineering, vol. 13 (1), pp. 78-89.
- Gnyawali, K.R. and Adhikari, B.R., 2017, Spatial Relations of Earthquake Induced Landslides Triggered by 2015 Gorkha Earthquake Mw=7.8, Landslide research and risk reduction for advancing culture of living with natural hazards, Advancing Culture of Living with landslides, M. Mikos et al. (eds.) Spinger Publication, pp-85-93.
- Rai, S.M., Upreti, B.N., Shakal, S., Bhattarai, T.N., Adhikari, B.R.,Bajracharya, S.R. and Yoshinda, M., 2017, Climate Change Impact on Glacier Retreat and Local Community in the Langtang Valley, Central Nepal, Journal of Development Innovations, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 45-59.
- Bicker, J.D., Schwanghart, W., Adhikari, B.R., Moriguchi, S., Roeber, V. and Giri, S., 2017, Performance of models for flash flood warning and hazard assessment: the 2015 Kali Gandaki landslide breach in Nepal, Journal of Mountain Research and Development. V.37, No 1, pp. 5-15.
- Gnyawali, K.R., Maka, S., Adhikari, B.R., Chamlagain D., Duwal, S. and Dhungana A.R., 2016, Spatial Implication of Earthquake Induced Landslides Triggered by the April 25 Gorkha Earthquake Mw 7.8: Preliminary Analysis and Findings, Proceeding of International conference on Earthquake Engineering and Post Disaster Reconstruction Planning, pp. 50-58.
- Schwanghart, W., Bernhardt, A., Stolle, A., Hoelzmann, P., Adhikari, B. R., Andermann, C., Tofelde, S., Merchel, S., Rugel, G., Fort, M., Korup, O., 2015, Repeated catastrophic valley infill following medieval earthquakes in the Nepal Himalaya. Science (2015). 10.1126/science.aac9865
- Gotz, J.; Weidinger, J.T.; Kraxberger, S.; Hennecke, J.B.; Adhikari, B.R., 2015, Geomorphologic and Hydrologic characteristics of Populated Rockslide Deposits (Sagarmatha National Park, Khumbu Himala, Nepal), Journal of Water Resource and Protection, 7, pp. 1038-1048.
- Moss, R.E.S.; Thompson, E.M.; Kieffer, D.S.; Hashah, M.A.Y.; Acharya, I.; Adhikari, B., Asimaki, D.; Clahan, K.B.; Collins, B.D.; Dahal, S.; Jibson, R.W.; Khadka, D., MacDonal, A.; Madugo, C.L.M.; Mason, H.B.; Pehliyan, M.; Rayamajhi, D. and Uprety, S. 2015, Geotechnical Effects of the 2015 Magnitude 7.8 Gorkha, Nepal Earthquake and Aftershocks, Seismological Research Letters, V. 86, no. 6, pp. 1514-1523
- Emerman, S.H; Nelson, J.R; Carlson, K.; Anderson, T.R.; Sharma A.; Adhikari, B.R., 2014, The effect of surface lithology on arsenic and other heavy metals in surface water and groundwater in Mustang Valley, Nepal Himalaya, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 47, pp. 1-21.
- Khadka, P and Adhikari, B. R. 2014, Flood vulnerability and capacity assessment of people of Holiya VDC in Banke district, Nepal, Proceedings of the International Symposium on ‘Geohazards: science, engineering and Management’ pp. 536-548.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2013, Microfacies analysis and paleoenvironmental significance of palustrine carbonates in the Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (Nepal Himalaya), Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, vol. 77, pp. 117-126.
- Emerman, S.H., Stuart, K. L., Sapkota, A., Khatri, S., Adhikari, B. R. and Williams, J., Garcia, P. K. 2013,Support for the fluvial recharge model for arsenic contamination of groundwater in Pokhara Valley, Nepal Himalaya, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 46, pp.75-94.
- Adhikari, B.R. and Paudyal, K.N, 2012, Neogene pollen assemblage from the Thakkhola-Mustang Graben, central Nepal Himalaya, Bulletin of Nepal Geological Society, Vol. 29, pp. 53-58.
- Rai, S.M., Yoshida, M., Upreti, B.N., Bhattarai, T.N., Ulak, P.D., Gajurel, A. P., Dahal, R. K., Dhakal, S., Koirala,M. P., Sharma, L. N. and Adhikari, B.R., 2011, Field excursion guidebook series on geology, natural hazards and vegetation of the Nepal Himalaya, Bulletin of Nepal Geological Society, Vol. 28, pp. 93-98.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2011,Facies analysis and basin architecture of the Neogene Thakkhola-Mustang Graben, central Nepal, Journal of Austrian Earth Sciences, vol. 104/1, pp. 66-80.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2011, Provenance evolution of collapse graben fill in the Himalaya – the Miocene to Quaternary Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (Nepal), Sedimentary geology, vol. 233, pp. 1-14.
- Adhikari, B. R., 2007, An overview of Thakkhola-Mustang Graben, Bulletin of Nepal Geological Society, Vol. 23, pp. 53-57.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Tamrakar, N. K., 2006, Bank instability and erosion problems of Bishnumati River, Kathmandu, Nepal, Nepal Geological Society, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 34, pp.109-116.
- Thapa, P.S., and Adhikari, B.R., 2019, Application of low-cost community-based landslide early warning systems in the Nepal Himalaya, International Symposium on Disaster Resilience and Sustainability Development, Thailand, p. 14.
- Adhikari, B.R., Tian, B., Chapagain, S., Acharya, A., Chen, F., Gautam, S. and Gou, X., 2019, Landslide susceptibility mapping along the sino-Nepal road corridors: A case study of Pokhara-Korala road corridor, Nepal, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 21, EGU 2019-3220.
- Adhikari, B.R., Tian, B., Chapagain, S., Acharya, A., Chen, F., Gautam, S. and Gou, X., 2019, Inventories and analysis of landslides along the Sino-Nepal Road corridor: A case study from the Pokhara-Zhongba road, International Conference on Silk-Road Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development, China, pp. 229-230.
- Adhikari, B.R., 2019, An innovative approach for dissemination of scientific research to the community for sustainable risk reduction in the Himalayas, International Conference on Silk-Road Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development, China, pp. 229-230. P. 421.
- Chen, F., Tian, Bingwei, Adhikari, B.R., Gou, X. 2019, Mapping digital drainage network using geoprocessing: a case study of upper kali Gandaki basin, Nepal Himalaya, International conference on International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Japan.
- Subedi, K.P., Lamsal, S., Bhusal, U.C., Rajaure, S, Paudyal, K.R., Adhikari, B.R., and Poudel L. P., 2017, Investigation of karst features in the Kusma area of Parbat district using electrical resistivity tomography and ground penetrating radar, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 52, pp.72.
- Gnyawali, K.R., and Adhikari, B. R. 2017, Geomorphological and geological comparison of susceptibility parameters for rainfall and co-seismic landslides: a case study of Sunkoshi River Catchment in central Nepal, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 52, pp.71.
- Andermann, C., Illien, L., Hovious, N., Cook, Gimbert, F., Schonfelder, C. S., Rossner, S., Behling, R., and Adhikari, B.R., 2017, Perturbation of earth surface process by the 2015 Gorkha Earthquake, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 52, pp.20.
- Cook, K, Andermann, C., Adhikari, B.R. and Gilbert F., 2017, Landslides from the 2015 Gorkha earthquake in the Bhotekoshi River valley-post-earthquake modification and implications for sediment export, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 52, pp.19.
- Giri, S., Nabi, M., Bricker, J.D., Adhikari, B.R. and Schwanghart, W., 2017, Landslide dam breach during 2015 earthquake in Nepal: Computational modeling of hydraulic and morphological effects, River Sedimentation, Taylor and Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-1-138-02945-3.
- Adhikari, B.R, Andermann, C. and Cook, K., 2016, Engineering geological aspect of Gorkha Earthquake 2015, Nepal, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-147-2.
- Gnyawali, K.R. and Adhikari, B.R., 2016, Spatial Relations of Earthquake Induced Landslides triggered by 25 April 2015 Gorkha Earthquake, Mw 7.8, Nepal, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-18429.
- Stolle, A, Bernhardt, A., Schwanghart, W., Andermann, C., Schönfeldt, , Seidemann, J, Adhikari. B.R., Merchel, S., Rugel, G., Fort, M., and Korup, O., 2016, Protracted fluvial recovery from medieval earthquakes, Pokhara, Nepal, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-7801.
- Schwanghart, W., A, Bernhardt, Stolle, A., Hoelzmann, P., B.R., Andermann, C., Merchel, S., Rugel, G., Fort, M., and Korup, O., 2016, Geomorphic legacy of medieval Himalayan earthquakes in the Pokhara Valley, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-7455.
- Fukoula, H., Bhandari, N.P., Adhikari, B.R., and Yamasaki, S., 2016, Landslides and glacier fall – ice/debris avalanches triggered by the April 2015 Gorkha Earthquake, Nepal, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-14881.
- Andermann, C., Turowski, J., Behling, R., Cook, , Hovius, N., Marc, O., Roessner, S., Sens-Schoenfelder, C., Emberson, R, Burtin, A., Dietze, M., Adhikari, B.R. and Parajuli, B., 2016, Landscape response to the Mw7.9 Gorkha earthquake, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-9091.
- Cook, K., Andermann, C., Adhikari, B.R., Schmitt, C. and Marc, O., 2016, Post-earthquake modification of 2015 Gorkha Earthquake landslides in the Bhote Koshi River valley, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 18, EGU 2016-9482-2.
- Schwanghart, W., Bernhardt, A., Stolle, A., B.R. and Korup, O., 2014, Reassessing Catastrophic Infill of the Pokhara Valley, Nepal Himalaya, Geophysical Research Abstracts, vol. 16, EGU 1024-15787.
- Schwanghart, A. Bernhardt, A. Stolle, B.R. Adhikari and O. Korup, 2013,The Pokhara Formation – One or Multiple Phases of Massive Aggradations by Debris Flows and Fluvial Deposition?, Himalayan Karakoram Tibet Workshop, Tuebingen, Germany.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., Paudayal, K.N., Draxler, I., 2012, Paleoclimate analysis of the Neogene Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (central Nepal), Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 45, pp.11 (Sp. Issue).
- Garcia, P. K., Sanchez, A., Stuart, K., Williams, J., Sapkota, A., Khatri, S., Emerman, S.H., and Adhikari, B.R., 2012, arsenic and other heavy metals in surface water and groundwater in Pokhara Valley, Nepal Himalaya: support for the fluvial recharge model, Geological Society of America abstracts with programs, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 27.
- Sanchez, A., Christiansen, M.E., Cornners, S. R., Carlson, J.K., Kemp, T.L, Sharma, A., Emerman, S.H., Adhikari, B.R., and Bunds, M.P., 2012, Arsenic and other heavy metals in surface water and groundwater in Mustang Valley, Nepal Himalaya, Geological Society of America abstracts with programs, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 26.
- Emerman, S.H., Sapkota, A., Khatri, S., Adhikari, B. R., Garcia, P. K., Stuart, K., Sanchez, A., Williams, J., white, R. C., and Duncan, T., 2011, Arsenic and other heavy metals in surface water and groundwater of Pokhara Valley, Nepal Himalaya, Geological Society of America abstracts with programs, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 75.
- Upreti, B.N., Dhakal, S., Rai, S.M., Bajracharya, S.R., Adhikari, B.R., Yoshida, M. and Bhattarai, T.N., 2010, Disappearing glaciers of Himalaya and Tibet in the context of global warming, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, Vol. 41, pp. 103 (Sp. Issue).
- Adhikari, B.R., 2010, Sedimentology and basin analysis of the Thakkhola-Mustang Graben, central Nepal, Bulletin of Nepal Geological Society, Vol. 27, pp. 36-37.
- Adhikari, B.R., Wagreich, M., IlseDraxler and Paudayal, K.N., 2010, Neogene vegetation and past climate change in the Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (central Nepal), Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 12, EGU 2010-0-2010, EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2010, Microfacies and stable isotope analysis of lacustrine carbonates from the Thakkhola-Mustang Graben, central Nepal Himalaya, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, vol. 41, pp.3 (Sp. Issue).
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2009, Provenance analysis of Neogene sediments in the Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (central Nepal), Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 11, EGU 2009-2842, EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2008b, Palustrine limestone in the sedimentary succession of the Cenozoic Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (central Nepal), Journal of Alpine Geology, Vol. 49, pp 1-127 (3), Vienna, Austria.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Wagreich, M., 2008a, Sedimentation in the Cenozoic Thakkhola-Mustang Graben (central Nepal), Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 10, EGU2008-A-01618, EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria.
- Adhikari, B. R. and Tamrakar, N. K, 2005, Bank instability and erosion problems of Bishnumati River, Kathmandu, Nepal, ” Journal of Nepal Geological Society, Abstract volume, (Vol. 32, Special Issue, Abstract volume).
Membership in Professional Associations
- Editor, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, 2016-2018.
- Regular member of Geotechnical Extreme Events Reconnaissance, USA
- Executive member of Nepal Tunneling Association
- Editor, Journal of Nepal Geological Society, 2012-2014.
- Life member of Nepal Tunneling Association
- Life member of Nepal Geological Society, LM 535
- Member of American Geophysical Union, 2009.
- Member of European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers, 2009
- Member of International Association of Sedimentologists, 2009.
- Member of European Geosciences Union, 2008-2009.
- Research associate of Himalayan Research and Conversation Nepal
- Member of World Student Community for Sustainable Development
- Young experts GO: UNFCCC, COP 15 (http//:global-observatory.org)
- A week training on “Major Natural Disaster Alleviation of the Belt and Road” Chengdu, Sichuan, China, Institute of Mountain Hazards and Environment CAS, 2-8 September 2017.
- Three days training on “Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering with Emphasis on Ground Failure Risk and Mitigation” NSET, CalTech, USGS and ESS, Nov 29-Dec 2, 2016.
- Two weeks training on “Summer Institute for Disaster and Risk Research”, Beijing Normal University, China, 25July-5 Aug. 2016.
- Worked as a resource person on “Piloting Early Warning System (EWS) for Landslides in Far West of Nepal” Mercy Corps, Nepal, August 13-17, 2014.
- Worked as a resource person on “Climate Change science: Mitigation and Adaptation” International Sustainability School, Handson, Nepal, June 15-26, 2014.
- Training on “Site investigation, Design and construction of Hydro and Transport tunnels”, Nepal Tunneling Association/ITACET foundation, 19-20 December, 2013.
- Training on “Training for Policy Makers on Climate Change Impact Adaptation”, Institute of Engineering and Center for Natural Resources and Development, 30thOct-1st Nov, 2013
- Training on “Geotechnics Training/Seminar”, Institute of engineering, Tribhuvan University and Local Road Bridge Program (LRBP), Government of Nepal, Sept.24-Oct.4, 2013.
- Training on “Geographic Information System (GIS)” Department of Road and Institute of engineering, Tribhuvan University, 5-9 June, 2013.
- Short course on “Soil and Rock Mechanics in Engineering”, Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands, January-March, 2013.
- Training on “Risk Management during Design and Construction”, Nepal Tunneling Association/ ITACET foundation, 11-12 December, 2012.
- Post-graduate Course on “Natural Hazards and Disaster Risk Management in Mountains” University of Torino, Faculty of Agriculture, Torino, Italy, July 2011.
- “Development of curricula on environmental engineering in Nepal and cross-linking of distance learning DAAD project by Department of Geology, Tri-Chandra Campus association with Bauhaus-Universität Weimar, Germany and Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, Nov. 15-23, 2011.
- “Engineering Geology for Underground Excavations” by Federal Institute of Technology, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland and Department of Geology, Tri-Chandra Campus, Tribhuvan University, Oct. 30-Nov. 1, 2011.
- “Multi-Interdisciplinary Subsurface integration in Exploration and Production. From plates to pores” by ExxonMobil International Limited in SEG/EAGE/ExxonMobil- Student Education Program, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 6-7 June, 2009.
- “Alternative Technologies and Renewable Resources For a sustainable Development”, 25-28 February, 2009, Leibnitz, Austria.
- “Community-based disaster risk Management” online course/training by Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), 2008.
- “Integrated Basin and Play Analysis” by ExxonMobil International Limited in European Geological Union Assembly, Austria, Vienna on 12-13 April, 2008.
- “High precision chronostratigraphy by graphic correlation” by Precision stratigraphy associates in University of Vienna on 22- 23 May, 2007.
- “Sequence Stratigraphic Concepts Applied to Integrated Basin Analysis” by ExxonMobil International Limited in European Geological Union Assembly, Austria, Vienna on 14-15 April, 2007.
- Matlab and Mathmatica, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria, 2007.
- AUTOCAD, Institute of Engineering, Tribhuvan University, Nepal, 2005.
- Photogeology, Geoinformatics and Mapping Techniques by Department of Survey, Kathmandu, Nepal, 2002.
Countries of work experience
Nepal, India, Austria
- International workshop on ” Science policy dialogue on Urban Preparedness and resource efficiency” 9-11, November, 2016, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- First workshop to Strengthen National-Level Scientific Advisory Capacities for Disaster Risk Reduction, 25-26, August, 2016, Bangkok, Thailand.
- First Asian Science and Technology Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction, 23-24, August, 2016, Bangkok, Thailand.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2008, Vienna, Austria, 13 – 18 April 2016.
- International workshop on Climate and Environmental Evolution in the Mesozoic Greenhouse world and 3rd IGCP 609 workshop on Cretaceous sea-level Change, 5-11 September, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China.
- Workshop on “Institutional Dimensions of Natural Hazard Resilience” Institute of Engineering, TU and University of Innsbruck, Austria, 6-7 Aug., 2013.
- 27th Himalaya-Karakoram-Tibet workshop, 28-30 November, 2012.
- Sixth Nepal Geological Congress, Kathmandu, Nepal, 15-17 November, 2010.
- 71st EAGE Conference and Exhibition, 8-11, June 2009. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2009, Vienna, Austria, 19 – 24 April 2009.
- Pangeo 2008, 22-25 September, Vienna.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2008, Vienna, Austria, 13 – 18 April 2008.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2007, Vienna, Austria, 15 – 20 April 2007
- Fifth Asian Regional Conference on Engineering Geology for Major Infrastructure Development and Natural Hazard Mitigation, Kathmandu, Nepal, 28-30 September, 2005, Organized by Nepal Geological Society.
Awards and grants
- “Young Affiliates” The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) 2017-2021.
- “Young Scientist” Integrated Research on Disaster Risk, 2017
- Travel Grants to attain the European Geoscience Union (EGU)-2016 from Nepal Academy of Science and Technology 2016.
- “Established Scientist Award” in European Geoscience Union (EGU)-2016.
- NFP for short course on “Rock and Soil Mechanics in engineering geology”, University of Twente, The Netherlands, January 7-March 8, 2012.
- Research grant on “The impact of climate change on glacial retreat, mass movement hazards and local community in higher Himalaya of Nepal: Case study of LangtangKhola watershed” 2010, by Ministry of Environment, Government of Nepal.
- Research grant on “Assessment of Status of Ibisbill Ibidorhyncha Struthersii for adaptation of Climate change in central Nepal” 2010, by National Adaptation program for Action, Ministry of Environment, Government of Nepal.
- Nepal BiddhyaBhusan Nepal (Ka), 2010, Ministry of Education, Government of Nepal.
- Travel grant for the SEG/ExxonMobil Student Education Program (SEP) and the EAGE 71stConference and Exhibition in Amsterdam, June 6-11, 2009.
- Conference grant for European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2009, Vienna, Austria, 19 – 24 April 2009 by OMV, Austria.
- PhD scholarship, 2006-2009, oead, Austria.